Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD)

Living with FASD

Available Assistance for Individuals with Disabilities

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

SSI provides cash benefits to eligible individuals with disabilities. In most states, children who get SSI also qualify for free medical care through Medicaid. Financial and disability rules apply.

For information about eligibility, call the Social Security Administration's toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. (EST).

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

SSDI provides monthly cash payments to eligible workers and sometimes to their dependent children. Rules of eligibility apply for workers. To apply or learn more about eligibility, contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.


Medicaid is the federal-state program that provides free medical care to children and adults. Eligibility varies among states. To apply, go to http://www.cms.hhs.gov/medicaid/statemap.asp for a list of the state Medicaid toll-free numbers.

Family Support

Some states set aside special funds to support families raising children with disabilities. Rules for eligibility vary among states. A list of family support programs is available from the National Center for Family Support at http://www.familysupport-hsri.org.

Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

The WIC program provides free food and formula to eligible women and children. It also educates women about proper nutrition and provides referrals to health care providers.

For a list of toll-free numbers in your state, go to http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic.

Adopting Children with Disabilities

Parents who adopt children with special needs may qualify for assistance. The National Adoption Information Clearinghouse can provide information about adopting a child with special needs. http://naic.acf.hhs.gov