Preschool Autism Training Series
Intended for preschool personnel working with students identified with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), the 3-day institute includes training on a variety of topics associated with understanding the diverse needs of young children with ASD.
Day One: Part One: Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder in Young Children; Part Two: Sensory Processing: Implications for Behavior and Learning
Day Two: Understanding and Supporting Social Communication in Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Day Three: Social-Emotional Competence, Play and Friendship Skills in Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Comprehensive Program Planning Institute
At the conclusion of the three-day institute, preschool teams may elect to participate in an additional two-day institute on Comprehensive Program Planning, which involves a process-planning framework for designing comprehensive positive behavioral interventions. The framework provides participants with the tools to assess a student’s specific needs by examining the student’s underlying characteristics, strengths and special interests as well as environmental factors in order to design individualized interventions that are evidence-based and systematically implemented throughout the day. The process encourages parents and professionals to work collaboratively to develop positive behavioral supports to meet the needs of students across all settings.
Ideally, participants will consist of the following team members:
- Preschool Intervention Specialists
- Special Education Directors
- Preschool Supervisors/Administrators
- Family Members
- Related Service Providers providing direct service to preschool students with ASD (e.g. speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, school psychologists)
Preschool Team Ongoing Activities:
Members of the team will be responsible for actions such as:
- Furthering the development of comprehensive positive behavioral interventions
- Continuing to meet as a team to advance the development of the comprehensive plan for targeted student/s
- Attending follow up meeting with SST/OCALI personnel
OCALI partners with the State Support Teams to provide this training. Contact Julie Short for further information.