Ohio's Parent Guide to Autism Spectrum Disorder
This manual provides an overview of the world of autism spectrum disorders (ASD). It was developed by Ohio parents of individuals with ASD who have a broad range of experience with interventions, resources, and services. The group's work began with the question: What do you wish you had known the first year your child was diagnosed? The manual covers a wide range of topics of interest to families, and each chapter contains rich reference materials, including books, websites, and names of organizations where additional information on each topic may be obtained.
Download the full Ohio's Parent Guide to ASD (PDF)
- What is an Autism Spectrum Disorder?
- Screening and Diagnosis
- Living with ASD
- Accessing Educational Services
- Social Service Programs
- Advocacy and Disability Awareness
- Future Planning
- Definition of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Useful Forms
- Navigating the Rough Waters
- Letter to Request a Multi-Factored Evaluation
- Process for Determining Eligibility for Special Education Services