Accessibility Support Specialist
At the Assistive Technology & Accessible Educational Materials (AT&AEM) Center at OCALI, we are committed to ensuring access for all people with disabilities. We believe that people with disabilities and those who support them need access to the right materials, technology, and training to ensure they can live their best lives for their whole lives.
This position will work within the AT&AEM Center at OCALI to support the development and delivery of accessible content and services across the OCALI organization. The Accessibility Support Specialist will work with the AT&AEM Center team of 13 staff including AEM Specialists, AT Specialists, and AEM Production Specialists to deliver accessible products and services. The specialist will also work with other OCALI center staff and external partners to support the accessibility needs of their products and services and work directly with OCALI staff who may have specific accessibility needs.
- Bachelor's degree in appropriate related field or evidence of equivalency;
- General knowledge about the American with Disabilities Act, the 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act, Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and WCAG standards as they apply to document and video accessibility;
- Knowledge of culturally responsive practices and inclusive of diverse populations;
- Demonstrates strong writing and editing skills with the ability to critically review own work and the work of others to identify and make or effectively communicate needed corrections.
- Demonstrates attention to detail, and ability to remain focused on highly detailed tasks;
- Demonstrates strong initiative, driven to complete projects, and ability to leverage resources while maintaining focus on the global organizational mission;
- Demonstrate a history as a self-directed professional, with strong analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
- Communicates professionally and effectively, in writing and orally, with internal teams and external partners and/or customers;
- Comfort with being recorded through audio and visual recordings meant for public listening and viewing;
- Willingness to continuously learn and engage in relevant activities related to the position;
- and Team player who values the success of the overall group.
Ideal candidates will also demonstrate the following preferred skills:
- Effective coaching and consultation skills for adult learners;
- Ability to support trainers delivering high-quality professional development in both virtual and face-to-face setting
- Basic understanding of accessibility and Universal Design for Learning (UDL) practices;
- Demonstrates comfort in online meeting platforms and virtual conferencing to provide technical assistance;
- Possesses general knowledge of built-in and external assistive technologies to complete basic accessibility testing of digital content
- Demonstrate general knowledge of built-in and external accessibility check tools and how to interpret results
- Show familiarity with audio and video recordings applications and equipment as well as video editing software and caption or text transcript editing applications
- Demonstrate proficiency across a variety of web and app based applications such as Microsoft, Google Drive, SharePoint and Adobe;
- Ability to make data driven decisions for the implementation of monitoring and improvement efforts;
- Willingness to obtain specialty certifications as related to job needs.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Core responsibilities and duties of this position are:
- Ensure new and legacy OCALI products are created in accessible formats based on internal practices as well as state and national standards and collaborate with both product owners and the web development team to ensure accessibility;
- Support the production of accessible content across a variety of media and platforms including videos, presentations, and documents (audio description, accessible PDFs, etc.);
- Provide technical assistance to staff and external partners on creating accessible materials as requested;
- Uses accessibility tools and assistive technologies as needed to test accessibility of products;
- Collaborates and plans with event/meeting coordinators for event accessibility considerations as well as responds to the accessibility requests of participants;
- Coordinates with the AMPC at OCALI AT&AEM to provide accessible and alternate formats for internal staff accessibility requests for meetings and events;
- Participates in vetting new agency tools and resources for accessibility and collaborate on making decisions for purchase and use within the organization
- Participates in a variety of accessibility focused work groups or meetings as requested
- Consults or provides high quality technical assistance via phone, email, virtual meetings in the area of accessibility;
- Participates in professional development opportunities provided through online training, in person training, and conference attendance;
- and Completes other duties as assigned by OCALI directors and the center director.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and in accordance with specified salary schedule
Reports to: Program Director of the AT&AEM Center at OCALI
OCALI is a division of the ESCCO, please complete the employment application through this online system. For questions, please contact: Augusta Fisher at email@example.com or (614) 410 - 4046.
Please complete the employment application through the www.escco.org.